- 2003 - 2004 Coanda Research and Development Cooperation
Engineering Research Scientist
- Development of advanced fluids instrumentation.
- Investigation and modelling of industrial flows.
- 1999-2003 Cranfield University
- Project Title - "Planar Doppler velocimetry instrumentation for gas
turbine aerodynamic applications".
- Aug 1998 Pennsylvania State University
Visiting Fellow with Prof. S.R. Turns
- Project Title - "NOx Emissions from Free Turbulent Jet Diffusion
- Sept 1998 Stanford University
Visiting Fellow with Prof. M.G. Mungal
- Project Title - " Near field dynamics of free jets issuing from
different types of round nozzles".
- 1998 - 1999 University of Adelaide
Australian Post Doctoral Fellow
- Project Title "Developing a methodology for quantifying the mixing
characteristics of industrial burners for optimisation and prediction of
- Member of the Sydney 2000 Olympic stadium flame and relay torch
- 1994 - 1997 PhD, Dept. of Mech. Eng., University of Adelaide
- 1990 - 1993 BE(Mech), University of Adelaide
- 1990 - 1994 Waratah Gypsum PTY. LTD (Intermittent)
- 1989 - 1990 Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty. Ltd.
- 1988 - 1989 Schlumberger Seaco Inc.
1987 - 1988 Flinders University
- The set-up and operation of electronic instruments for deployment
into gas and oil wells in the Moomba area.
Technical Officer Grade II
- Design and construction of special purpose devices and
instrumentation not commercially available.
- 1983 - 1987 The Engineering and Water Supply Department
Apprenticeship in Fitting and Machining
- [Design Services Branch] Preparation of drawings and estimates,
minor field survey, preparation of technical information for reports
and minor engineering design.
- [Ottoway Drawing Office] engaged in drafting, investigating and
researching specifications for drawings for the manufacture/construction
of pipe work and for components for manufacturing.
- [Technical Policy Branch (I&TP)] Collection and study of data to
predict a preventative maintenance schedule and servicing program for
the water supply pumps in South Australia.
- [Ottoway Machine Shop] Refurbishment of domestic and industrial
water meters, the manufacture and assembly of large valves and the
production of one-off components for other areas in the department.
- [Industrial Training Centre]. 12 months intensive training in all
areas of Fitting and Machining.
- 1994 - 1997 Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Adelaide.
Doctorate of Philosophy. Thesis Title: "The Generation of Large-Scale Structure by Jet Precession".
- 1990 - 1993 Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Adelaide.
Bachelor of Engineering Degree, Mechanical Engineering, B.E. (Mech) (Hons).
- 1983 - 1987 Regency Park College of TAFE, School of Mechanical Engineering.
Associate Diploma of Mechanical Engineering (incomplete).
Fitting and Machining Basic Trade Certificate.
COURSES / TRAINING
- 2001 'CL Programming for DaVis', LaVision, Gottingen, Germany.
- 1999 'Turbulence Modelling for CFD', D.C.Wilcox & P. Bradshaw, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia.
- 1998 'Teaching at University', University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
- 1996 'Combustion Technology and Engineering Course', Fuel and Combustion Technology, Adelaide, Australia.
- 1995 'Simulating Turbulent Flows with FIDAF', Fluid Dynamics International, Sydney, Australia.
- 1994 'An Introductory Course in PHOENICS', University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia.
- 2002 Best Paper: The Rank Prize Funds 'Optics in Fluid Dynamics, Meteorology and the Atmosphere'.
- 2001 David S. Nobes and Ralph P. Tatam, NPL-Metrology for World Class Manufacturing Awards 2001: 'Frontier Science and Measurement'.
- 1998 Australian Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
- 1985 M.I.A.S.A. Fitting and Machining Apprentice Award Winner.
- 1983 Engineering and Water Supply Department (E&WS) Industrial Training Centre Apprentice of the Year.